HOBART FAMILY YMCA
What would the Y be without aquatics? Our Aquatic Exercise classes are an excellent way to work those muscles you didn’t know you had! Classes are designed to fit every level of fitness from water based activities that adapt exercise for those with disabilities or in rehabilitation to challenging intermediate and advanced classes that will torch calories and improve strength in the water!
Class descriptions below to some of our core classes that are offered year round. For more specific information and questions about Aquatic classes please contact Debbie at 219-942-2183 Ext. 17.
(Class schedule and class availability is subject to change per session. Current Group Exercise class schedule available on our Schedules page.)
SPLASH INTO SPORTS!
Co-Ed Youth Water Polo& Water Volleyball
Ages: 9 - 14 yrs old
*must be 4 foot tall
Times/Day: 5:15 pm - 6:15 pm on Tuesdays
Prices: $24 Members
Join us for our NEW Junior Lifeguarding Program here at the Hobart Family YMCA. This is a 16 week certified program for those 11 - 14 years old in age.
Age: 11-14 yrs old
Days/Time: Mondays & Thursdays 3:00 - 3:45 pm
AQUATIC EXERCISE CLASSES:
(Intermediate / Advanced) Fun and challenging deep and shallow water routines for those serious about their water workout. Burn fat; improve muscle tone, strength, flexibility and endurance. Aqua-steps, Hand buoys and noodles are used for added resistance and strengthening exercises.
Arthritis Foundation YMCA Aquatic Program This water exercise program is designed for people with arthritis, joint and related conditions. Focusing on increasing range of motion, muscle strength, flexibility, and endurance, this class allows you to participate without excess strain on joints and muscles. This class is certified by the Arthritis Foundation and is led only by trained and certified instructors.
Resistance training using core stabilization never was more refreshing. The water is the perfect medium for improving dynamic balance, strength, agility and coordination.
This Aqua Jog class will help you lose weight, improve fitness and revitalize your workouts with no impact. Adding in the resistance of the water making this a great way to jog or power walk. Optional equipment used in this class are gloves and Aqua jog belt.
Gentle yet effective routines combined with muscle toning, strengthening, and posture improving exercises to make this the perfect workout for beginners.
Looking for something different to add to your group fitness plan? People love boot camp on land… and it’s even better in the WATER! Aqua Boot Camp offers a high intensity, athletic approach to water fitness, using gravity from the land and the resistance of the water. This class implements a combination of strength training exercises, sports-specific drills, intense cardiovascular work, intervals, and plyometric exercises.
Tabata interval training involves performing eight sets of 20 seconds of work alternated with 10-second rest periods. The aim of the workout is to perform as many repetitions as possible during the work period. It’s short, efficient and can fit in almost any fitness program. Using the water for a low impact, but a great cardio workout.
Low impact water aerobics, progressing at your own pace, using noodles, kick boards, and water weights for strength and toning.
Build a stronger core (abdominal and lower back) while improving posture and body awareness. Pilates increases flexibility and strength in the entire body. The routine is fresh and incorporates weights, gloves, balls, noodles, and kick boards. This class helps each participant reach their health and fitness goals.
Additional Pool Activities
• ADULT SWIM - Men & Women 18 years and older.
• LAP SWIM - If you are unable to swim complete lengths of the pool, it is recommended that you practice during open swim times until your skills and stamina improve.
• OPEN SWIM - Open swims are for all ages, children under the age of six must have a parent in the swimming pool with them at all times. Children 6-12 must demonstrate at least Guppy level swimming ability in order to swim in deep end. Lifeguard on duty will test all children's swimming ability before being allowed to swim in the pool.
• OPEN/LAP SWIM - All rules for open swim apply. The pool will be divided into open/lap swim lanes depending upon the number of patrons requesting lap swimming at the discretion of the lifeguard on duty.
• FAMILY SWIM - A parent must accompany children at any age.
POSTED POOL RULES
• Obey the lifeguard
• No running in the pool area or locker rooms
• No pushing, dunking, or other rough horseplay.
• Diving is at the lifeguard’s discretion
• No diving in the shallow end
• No backward entries, flips, twists, or other trick dives
• Use of all equipment is at the lifeguard’s discretion
• No obscene or abusive language
• Shower before entering the pool
• No street shoes in pool area
• No food, gum, or beverages in pool area
• Band-aids, earrings, hairpins, or other items likely to fall of should not be worn in the pool
• No cut-offs or soiled clothing may be worn in the pool
• All injuries should be reported to the lifeguard immediately
• No spitting
• Jumping at lifeguard’s discretion. Diving in 9ft only
• Equipment to be accessed by staff only. See lifeguard
• Patrons may bring own equipment. YMCA staff and building are not responsible for theft or damage. (No scuba equipment)
• Proper behavioral standards not negotiable
• Swim clothes – no cut offs, gymnastic outfits, underwear, tee shirts may be worn (plain whit or plain cream only) no decals, colors, etc.
• Not allowed with cuts, sores, staples, and stitches, etc. Anything open and severe enough that it needs to be covered must not be in the pool. Disease and infection may be spread through restroom, shower, and pool area
• Diapers -no disposable- cloth with snug fitting plastic pants only
• At no time is the YMCA (staff or building) responsible for any lost, stole, or damaged private property.
Additional General Pool Rules
1. Anyone who is 12 years of age or younger, must be accompanied by an adult.
2. No non-swimmers in the deep end, unless accompanied by a lifeguard.
3. Any child wearing a flotation device (noodles, lifejackets, float belts, water wings), or that cannot swim, must be in arms length of their parent/guarding at all times.
4. Children under 18 years of age must pass a swim test to use the deep end of the pool. Swim Test: swim on front, above water, without grabbing the side or touching for one length of the pool. Tread water 30 seconds.
5. No glass containers are to be brought into the pool area (this includes staff).
6. Patrons may NOT use the following during open swim: the brick, mask, snorkel, and fins (Scuba gear). Fins can only be used by adults 18 years of age or older. This is at the lifeguard’s discretion. Children may only use fins during swim lessons.
7. NO LAP LANES are to be designated during Open Swim.
8. Patrons are not allowed in the equipment room (where the lockers are). The lifeguard is responsible for obtaining any equipment for the patrons.
9. The flags may be removed by staff members only. Do not drag them through the water or on the ground.
Additional Adult/Lap Swim Rules
1. Pool rules must be enforced.
2. Wall exercise is allowed.
3. There is up to two lap lanes designated for recreational swim during all lap/adult swim times. Recreational use defined as any non-lap swim.
4. 1-2 lap swimmers = 1 designated lap lane; 3 or more lap swimmers = 2 designated lap lanes (i.e. half of the pool).
5. Lap swimmers must share lanes. If they do not they will be asked to leave.
6. Always swim down on the right side of the lane. (Circle Swim).
7. Swim with courtesy.
HOBART FAMILY YMCA
601 W. 40th Place
Hobart, IN 46342
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday: 5:00am - 9:00pm
Friday: 5:00am - 7:00pm
Saturday: 7:00am - 1:00pm
Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am
Monday - Saturday: 9:00am-12:00pm
(Ages 6 Months - 12 Years Old)
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm-8:00pm
(Ages 2 Years Old - 12 Years Old)
Copyright © Professional Information Systems, Inc.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
The Y is committed to providing programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We make every effort to ensure that no one is turned away due to inability to pay. Click here for our financial assistance application
<meta name="p:domain_verify" content="564e38f9fa192cdb3e31f3db5237bbdc"/>