The Hobart Family YMCA is made up of an experienced and diverse array of staff, volunteers and members of all ages and from every walk of life working side by side to strengthen our community. The Y ensures that every individual has access to the fundamentals needed to grow, learn and thrive, regardless of age, gender, income, faith, abilities or background, through our programs, services and initiatives.
We’re more than just a place to work out, we help build a healthy spirit, mind and body while incorporating core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in everything we do. We are committed to nurturing youth development, promoting healthy living, and fostering a sense of social responsibility.
To accept membership at the Y you understand that: The Y is a mutual benefit organization, existing through the combined efforts of its members and friends.
The Hobart Family YMCA, utilizing local and national resources, is committed to; nurturing the potential of every child and teen; improving the nation’s health and well-being; giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit mind and body for all.
Here at the Y we have three areas of focus: For Youth Development, For Healthy Living and For Social Responsibility. We are a cause-driven organization who believe in our kids, our health and our neighbors. The Y is for everyone. We offer a variety of programs, services and initiatives for all to foster a strong community.
The YMCA is a cause driven association with a mission to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We at the Hobart Family YMCA proudly engage over 10,000 individuals each year and over 3,400 individual members yearly. Our impact is felt when a mentor encourages a child, when an individual strives for a healthy lifestyle, and when our community works side-by-side for the common good. We primarily serve those in the Hobart, New Chicago, Lake Station, and Merrillville areas, however, we are open to all!
BRIEF PROGRAM AND SERVICE HIGHLIGHTS
• Contracted provider of before and after school childcare for Hobart City Schools and River Forest Community Schools
• Longest running (and best!) Developmental Preschool in Hobart at 33 years
• Certified facility and instructors by Arthritis Foundation of Greater Chicagoland
• Lake Area United Way Agency since 1957
• First Inclusion Preschool Day Camp and School-Age Day Camp Program at a YMCA in collaboration with the Center For Possibilities, Bubel-Aiken Foundation & National Inclusion Project**
• Premier delegation at Indiana State YMCA Youth & Government Program in Indianapolis
• 1955…First organizing activities begin by five area Women’s Clubs
• 1957…Officially chartered and admitted to Lake Area United Way
• 1961…Became branch of Gary Metro YMCA (GMY)
• 1966…Capital Campaign by GMY, Hobart gets new building
• 1976…GMY dissolves, Hobart inherits $230,000 debt
• 1981…Hobart Y experiences severe fire, closed for several months
• 1997…Hobart Y Board authorizes Feasibility Study to expand facility
• 1999…Construction begins on 18,000 sq. foot addition
• 2000…Grand opening of “New” Hobart Family YMCA
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
The Y is committed to providing programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We make every effort to ensure that no one is turned away due to inability to pay.
Click here for our financial assistance application